Development Applications & Guides


Effective July 1, 2021, Planning and Building Services will resume in-person at the City Hall public counter on a limited basis only Monday and Wednesday between 1:00 PM to 5:30 PM. Remote services will continue to be provided during regular City hours. Submittal of applications, plan sets, and any other associated materials should be submitted via email to After receipt of the application has been confirmed by Planning staff, the applicant will receive an invoice by email and instructions how to submit credit card payment by telephone or in person during general City Hall hours, Monday to Thursday 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM and Fridays 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM. Applications will not be processed until payment is confirmed. 

For more information regarding the City’s Re-Opening Plan for Planning, Building, and Code Enforcement Services, please see the Information Bulletin here: Re-Opening Plan - Information Bulletin to Public and Applicants (Updated 1.10.22) (PDF)


For those residents and property owners seeking to begin or resume a Citizens’ Participation Program (CPP), the following protocols have been developed allowing for electronic meetings instead of in-person gatherings while conducting your required CPP process.

  • An Introductory Meeting (CPP#1) during the COVID-19 crisis will be facilitated by the applicant/property owner via an online telemeeting platform (of their choice). Pertinent regulatory provisions applicable to Introductory CPP meetings, as set forth in DMMC Section 23.08.068, shall apply. Information regarding the meetings and how to participate in the meeting will be contained within the meeting notices mailed to neighboring property owners, posted outside City Hall and viewable on the City’s Agenda Center at
  • A Project Proposal Meeting (CPP#2) during the COVID-19 crisis will be facilitated by City Planning staff via telemeeting (Zoom Webinar). Information regarding the Project Proposal meetings and how to participate in the meeting will be contained within the meeting notices mailed to neighboring property owners, posted outside City Hall and viewable on the City’s Agenda Center at Neighbors and interested parties will be encouraged to review the proposed plans and CPP exhibits, which will be accessible via the City’s website, prior to the virtual meeting.

This interim process has been developed as a means to continue customer services delivery to the Del Mar community while still achieving the goals of the Design Review Ordinance. The interim process will be utilized until such time the City Council officially determines regular (in-person) public meetings may resume.


In an effort to assist the Del Mar business community during the COVID emergency, the City is offering issuance of a special COVID Temporary Use Permit (TUP) and/or Encroachment Permit (EP) to provide flexibility to local businesses to remain open and provide services to the public. These special permits are intended to assist City businesses, including restaurants and retail needing special allowances during the COVID pandemic due to County Health Orders or other needs. The TUP is intended for temporary uses on private property, such as expanding outdoor dining area, installing a temporary outdoor covering, and offering food/goods in a take-out or drive-thru manner.  The EP is intended for temporary uses on public property/sidewalks, such as the daily placement of tables and display goods, temporary outdoor covering, and A-frame signage.  Further, the City Council has authorized a subsidy up to $1000 per business to offset the costs of a TUP and/or EP.  The City is expediting temporary allowances for these types of activities during the COVID emergency and all such approvals will be valid while the City of Del Mar is operating under a Local Emergency proclamation by City Council or otherwise restricted by further order of the San Diego County Health Officer.

If your business is interested in acquiring this temporary allowance, please fill out the TUP  and/or EP application below:

COVID-19 Emergency Temporary Use Permit (TUP) Application

COVID-19 Emergency Encroachment Permit (EP) Application

Once prepared, email your completed application to Adriana Jaramishian at and/or Planning staff will review the proposal and assist in requesting any additional information necessary to complete the application process. Should you have any questions, please contact Adriana at the email above or call us at (858) 755-9313.

If you have any general questions, please contact us at or            858-755-9313.

Most Requested Applications & Guides
Accessory Dwelling Units (ADU & JrADU):
 - Accessory Dwelling Unit Application Packet (PDF)
- Additional ADU resources at: 

Administrative Design Review (ADR):
- Administrative Design Review Application Packet (PDF)
- Administrative Design Review Guide (PDF)

Citywide Design Guidelines
- City Council Adopted Design Guidelines (PDF)
- Design Guidelines FAQ (PDF)

Design Review Board (DRB):
- Citizens’ Participation Program Application Packet (PDF)
- Design Review Board Application Packet (PDF)
- Design Review Board Guide (PDF)

May also be required:
- Coastal Development Permit (PDF)
- Floodplain Development Permit (PDF)
- Land Conservation Permit (PDF)

Water Efficient Landscape Ordinance (WELO):
- Water Efficient Landscapes Guide (PDF)

Determination of Substantial Conformance (DSC):
- Determination of Substantial Conformance Application Packet (PDF)
- Determination of Substantial Conformance Guide (PDF)

Encroachment Permit (EP):
- Encroachment Permit Application (PDF)
- Encroachment Permit Guide (PDF)

Administrative Sign Review (ASR):
- Administrative Sign Review Application Packet (PDF)
- Administrative Sign Review Guide (PDF)
- Signage Calculation How-to Guide (PDF)

  1. Individual Applications & Forms
  2. Development Guides & Checklists
  1. Resident Guides
  2. Informational Documents