Planning & Community Development
Department Goals & Responsibilities
The Planning Department is an integral part of making the City of Del Mar a beautiful place to live, work, and visit. The department is committed to accomplishing this goal through current and advanced planning that directs and guides residential and commercial development and encourages land uses that are compatible, sustainable, and most beneficial to the community.
The Planning Department is responsible for a variety of services such as the following:
- Making preparations for a new Parking Management Plan
- Managing key programs and projects such as Affordable Housing, Coast Boulevard, and the Camino del Mar Streetscape Plans
- Updating the city’s Community (General) Plan and zoning standards
In addition, the planning staff completes the following tasks:
- Assists the public through the permitting process
- Consults with and advises architects, engineers, and homeowners
- Makes periodic inspections during the course of construction
- Reviews all plans for compliance with code requirements
Roles & Structure
The department serves as the liaison to the City Council, Planning Commission, Design Review Board, and various ad hoc committees.
View the structure of the department by viewing the planning organizational chart (PDF).
We take pride in providing our customers with personal attention, accurate, and consistent information, as well as creative, timely solutions to complex community development issues.
We will guide our customers through the planning process in a manner that instills public trust and confidence.