How can I get an exception to development standards?

The process to get an exception is called a variance, which is issued only if the Planning Commission finds that some special circumstances associated with the property warrant approval of the requested variance from the standards. 

Remember that current zoning requirements of the City may apply to your project or property but not to others. For instance, your neighbors’ homes may have been built many years ago under different zoning requirements. Their “non-conforming” improvements may be allowed to stay if they were constructed when different development standards were in place. In the event your neighbors undergo a significant redevelopment of their properties. They will also have to comply with current zoning standards.

Show All Answers

1. How can I get an exception to development standards?
2. How do I determine the exact location of my property line?
3. Do I need a permit to move a gas line or power line?
4. How do I schedule a building inspection?