I received a Notice of Violation, what do I do?

A Notice of Violation (NOV) is issued by City staff when there is a discharge of pollutants directly or indirectly into the storm drain system or when best management practices (BMPs) are not properly implemented, as it pertains to Chapter 11.30 of the Del Mar Municipal Code (Stormwater Management and Discharge Control). In addition, NOVs are issued when repeat offenses are observed, after education has already been provided.  Examples of discharges can include (but are not limited to) irrigation runoff, broken sprinkler systems leading to runoff, or improper pool discharges. The Notice of Violation contains information on the violation of the Municipal code, the discharge observed, and a request to rectify the issue. It is expected the issue is addressed in a timely manner.  If you have any questions about a Notice of Violation you received and what to do to address the issue(s), please contact the Clean Water Program at 858-704-3652 or cleanwater@delmar.ca.us. If observed issue(s) are not addressed, further actions may be taken.

Show All Answers

1. Best Management Practices (BMPs) – Residential Storm Water Protection
2. I received a door hanger, what do I do?
3. I received a Clean Water Education Letter, what do I do?
4. I received a Notice of Violation, what do I do?
5. I have a hired contractor on my property (landscaper, pool services, construction, etc.), what do I need to know?