My water is cloudy. What can I do?
Call the Public Works Department at (858) 755-3294 and we will inspect the system for problems. In many cases, the problem is within the residence and is the responsibility of the owner. If this is the case, a plumber may be necessary. Certain times of the year, water is delivered with a slight turbidity and odor due to lake conditions where the water is stored prior to treatment. However, it is safe to drink and is tested on a regular basis in compliance with the Department of Health Services guidelines. The City of Del Mar annually sends a copy of the Water Quality Report to all residents. You may request a copy of the
Annual Water Quality Report or the City of Del Mar's Annual Water Quality Newsletter from Public Works at (858) 755-3294

Show All Answers

1. Is Del Mar's water fluoridated?
2. How can I lower my water bill?
3. Is Del Mar's water considered hard?
4. Should I purchase a water softener?
5. My water pressure is fluctuating. Can you help?
6. How do I get a construction meter?
7. How do I cancel my water service?
8. What is the difference between a sub-meter and an irrigation meter, and which is best for me?
9. Why can't I shut off my own meter?
10. Where is my water meter?
11. When do they read my meter?
12. I don't think my meter has been read recently. What can I do?
13. My water is cloudy. What can I do?
14. What water conservation incentives does the City of Del Mar offer?
15. I am building or remodeling my home in Del Mar. What is the cost to install a new water meter and/or sewer service?