A historically rainy winter and other on-site challenges have caused delays in the Downtown Streetscape Project that have pushed its expected completion to late summer.
To date, the project has brought new sidewalks, pedestrian ramps, medians, crosswalks and streetlights to Camino del Mar between Plaza and 9th streets.
Beneath the streets and sidewalks, workers have installed irrigation, electrical and drainage lines. In multiple locations, workers encountered uncharted and aging infrastructure. Together with the rains, rerouting or replacing those utilities – such as badly-corroded steel storm drains at 11th and 10th streets -- has contributed to 76 calendar days of delay.
A final block of street and sidewalk reconstruction, on the 1100 block of west Camino del Mar, is scheduled to continue through July. The schedule for July also shows:
- Irrigation systems to be completed;
- Crosswalk construction at 10th Street;
- Storm drain corrections at 10th, 11th and 12th streets; and
- Planting to begin mid-month.
For August, the schedule shows:
- Roadway reconstruction and striping;
- Installation of furnishings; and
- Punch list work, or final finishes.