Authorities are investigating mail theft in Del Mar after a resident's report, Sheriff's Capt. Christopher Lawrence said Aug. 2.
During the past year, the United Postal Service has reported increases in mail theft, the Captain said.
Recommendations for mail security include:
- Picking up mail as soon as possible after delivery;
- Purchasing a lockable mailbox;
- Switching to paperless billing to reduce the volume of sensitive, incoming mail;
- Stopping mail delivery if you're leaving town; and
- Handing outgoing mail directly to a mail carrier or placing it into a secured USPS mailbox — a raised flag on your mailbox signals that something valuable could be inside.
Capt. Lawrence recommends that residents take advantage of free crime prevention assessments and take steps to reduce the risk of identity theft.
If you see suspicious activity or believe your mail has been stolen, report it immediately.
Contact the North Coastal Sheriff's Station: 760-966-3500.
Fraud and identity theft resources