Work Program - Progress Update
Following is an update on various tasks for the coastal resiliency/sea level rise planning work program. Preparation of the Local Coastal Program Amendment documents involves public review and outreach prior to the public hearing and approval phase. Much of the public discussion occurs through the STAC meeting forum and is followed with noticed public hearings by the decision makers: Planning Commission (recommendation), City Council, and California Coastal Commission.
Major Grant Tasks
- Delineation of Project Planning Area- Project Planning Area (PDF)
- Coastal Hazards, Vulnerability and Risk Assessment – Coastal Hazards, Vulnerability and Risk Assessment (PDF) (Large Document) - Addendum to the 2016 Vulnerability and Risk Assessment (PDF) (Large Document)
The Assessment used best available science to identify vulnerable areas in Del Mar that are subject to projected sea-level rise, storm-surge, river flooding, coastal flooding, and erosion. Vulnerable City facilities include the fire station, public works yard, sewer lift station, beach access points, public roads, sewer lines, and storm water systems. The most recent addendum to this document can be viewed online (PDF).
- Adaptation Plan – Adaptation Plan approved by City Council May 21, 2018 (PDF)
The Adaptation Plan provides a variety of adaptation strategies and approaches and will serve as the City's “toolbox” to help property owner’s (public and private) plan for and address the vulnerabilities identified by the Coastal Hazards, Vulnerability and Risk Assessment. (Required public hearings are in process.)
- Sediment Management Plan (PDF)
- LCP Land Use Policy Amendments (PDF) – Amendments to the City’s certified Local Coastal Program Land Use Plan to update the City’s hazard policies in response to the City’s Vulnerability Risk Assessment of local hazards relating to sea level rise, flooding, erosion, and storm surge; and the City’s approved Adaptation Plan strategies to address coastal hazards.
- LCPCode Amendments (PDF) – Amendments to the City’s certified Local Coastal Program Implementation Plan to amend the existing Floodway Zone, Coastal Bluff Overlay Zone, and Floodplain Overlay Zone.
Work Program Schedule and Overview
|Community/Stakeholder Meetings - Gaps Analysis||July-December 2015|
|Sustainability Resource Fair||September 2015|
|Community Forum||January 2016|
|Community/Stakeholder Meetings - Vulnerability and Risk||February-April 2016|
|Community Workshop||May 2016|
|Community/Stakeholder Meetings - Adaption Plan||June-September 2016|
|Public Outreach/Prepare Draft LCPA and Fact Sheets||September 2016-Summer 2017|
|Council Liaison Meetings: North Beach Residents/Owners||April 2017|
|Council Liaison Meetings: Bluff top Residents/Owners||August 2017|
|STAC Subcommittee- Recommended Revisions to Adaptation Plan||July-October 2017|
|STAC- Recommended Revisions to Adaptation Plan||October-December 2017|
|Planning Commission Hearing(s)- Adaptation Plan||February-March 2018|
|Planning Commission Hearing- Sediment Management, Habitat Assessment||June 2018|
|Planning Commission Hearing(s) - Land Use Plan Code||August 2018|
|City Council Hearing(s)||September 2018|
|Coastal Commission Amendment Submittal||Fall 2018|
|Coastal Commission Certification Hearing||To Be Determined