Reduce, reuse, recycle. You can be waste-free in your home and business. Learn how.
According to CalRecycle, the City of Del Mar generates approximately 9,800 tons of solid waste annually, which accounts for 5% of total greenhouse gas emissions from its residents and businesses. Approximately 3,200 tons of this waste is diverted annually.
The City is aiming to exceed state requirements with Climate Action Plan (CAP) goals for waste diversion of 80 percent by 2020 and 95 percent by 2035. Diversion is any combination of waste prevention (source reduction), recycling, reuse and composting activities that reduces waste disposed at landfills and recycling facilities.
What You Can Do to Reach Zero Waste:
Learn how you can help move the City forward to become a zero waste community, including composting tips, vouchers. and other ways to recycle.
- Trash, Recycling, and Hazardous Waste
- San Diego County Recycling Guides
- Waste Management Recycle Often, Recycle Right Guide
- Waste Management How To Recycle Guide
- Waste Management Del Mar Residential Recycling Guide
- Waste Management Recycling Bulletin
- EPA Food Recovery Links and Resources in SD County
- Local Food Pantries
- Save The Food San Diego
- North County Food Generation Map
- U.S. EPA Excess Food Opportunities Map
- Compost Bin and Worm Bin Voucher Program Application
- Del Mar/WM Mulch and Compost Voucher Program
- Solana Center Organics Recycling at Home
- Mandatory Business and Multifamily Organics Recycling
Organic materials account for nearly one-third of the approximately 30 million tons of waste destined for California each year. California Assembly Bill AB1826 is designed to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by diverting waste from landfills and to help reach California’s recycling goal of 75% by the year 2020.
Plastics/Zero Waste Guide
- Del Mar Single Use Plastic Bag Ban
- I Love A Clean San Diego Zero Waste Guide
- Surfrider Rise Above Plastics Program
- Surfrider – San Diego Ocean Friendly Restaurants Guide
Textiles can be recycled ANYTIME at the Goodwill Carmel Valley Donation Center at 12791 Sorrento Valley Road, San Diego, CA 92134