Downtown Streetscape Project
During a 10-month, $8.3 million construction program in 2019, the Downtown Streetscape Project transformed the aging and mismatched surfaces of Del Mar's business district with new sidewalks, trees, landscaping, street furniture, pavement and lane striping. The project included major upgrades of street lighting, drainage and irrigation on Camino del Mar between Plaza and 9th streets. The Downtown Streetscape Project was first envisioned in 1996 as part of a citywide street and sidewalk improvement program.
The project team worked closely with community and business leaders. To keep business owners and residents up to date, and to maintain two-way communication, the project team hosted biweekly construction briefings that were open to the public.
Every Friday, subscribers received the Downtown Streetscape Project Report with photographs, contact information and updates on construction activities. Throughout the project, a total of 43 Progress Reports were published.
In cooperation with Del Mar TV, the project team told the story of Streetscape in a brief video.
- Project Update and Request for Additional Funding (PDF)
- Sept 2018 - Illustrative Plan Block by Block (PDF)
- Paving Materials (PDF)
- Streetscape Furnishings (PDF)
- Streetscape Furnishings Plan (PDF)
- Streetscape Trees and Plants (PDF).pdf
- 191023_Conformed Set-Punch walk 10-24-19
- Pre-Construction Reports and Presentations (PDF).pdf