Construction and Demolition Waste Recycling
On August 5, 2019, the City of Del Mar adopted a Construction and Demolition Waste (C&D) Recycling Ordinance (PDF) (Del Mar Municipal Code Chapter 23.70), which created a local process to demonstrate compliance with CalGreen Building Requirements for C&D recycling. Projects that are currently subject to CalGreen regulations are required to divert 65% of waste generated during construction from landfills. To find out if your project is exempt from C&D recycling requirements, please see the list of exemptions (PDF).
Prior to Building Permit issuance, applicants for a project subject to CalGreen must:
- Submit a Waste Management Plan (PDF) to the Building Department;
- A permit will not be issued unless the Waste Management Plan demonstrates compliance with CalGreen regulations (currently 65% diversion).
Upon completion of the project and prior to final inspection for a Building Permit, applicants for a project subject to CalGreen must submit the following to the Building Department:
- The compliance section of the Waste Management Plan; and
- Supporting documentation including waste, recycling and reuse facility receipts showing that the diversion requirement was met.
If utilizing self-haul, a list of Certified Construction and Demolition Waste Recycling Facilities can be found in the C&D recycling facility directory (PDF).
- Staff Report (8/5/2019) (PDF)
- Waste Management Plan (PDF)
- Project Exemption List (PDF)
- List of Certified Construction and Demolition Recycling Facilities (PDF)
- Tonnage Conversion Table for Waste Management Plan (Excel)
- CalRecycle Conversion Table (PDF)