Engineering Department Services
Our Engineering Department provides:
- Consulting and technical support to the city manager and department heads and City Council
- Review of capital projects prior to construction
- Receipt and resolution of public inquiries and concerns
- Traffic engineering
- Field investigations
- Periodic representation of the city in dealing with other public agencies
- Technical support for grant applications
- Services for development regulation and review, such as plan review and inspection of privately funded public improvements
The employees of the Engineering Department are dedicated to providing innovative, timely and cost effective civil engineering solutions to preserve and enhance the environment and the quality of life in the beautiful village of Del Mar.
The city has retained Michael Baker International to provide city engineering services. Tim Thiele has been selected by the city manager to serve as city engineer and department head of Engineering to fulfill all statutory requirements of that position. Ryan Zellers will serve as the city traffic engineer and Scott Cartwright is the development review manager.
For drinking water, wastewater (sewage), street lights, signs or traffic signals, or other street right-of-way issues not related to a private property or private development, please contact the Public Works Department via email, or by phone at 858-755-3294. For private property and private development issues, please contact the Del Mar Planning and Community Development Department at 858-755-9313. For clean water issues related to concerns with illegal discharges affecting our streams and beaches, please contact the Clean Water manager at 858-704-3652 or email.